Peter Whittaker, Ph.D.
Professor – Cardiovascular Research Institute
Peter Whittaker, Ph.D.
Office Location421 E. Canfield
Detroit, MI 48201
University of London
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Health Economics, Outcomes and Management in Cardiovascular Sciences
London School of Economics and Political Science
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario, Canada
University of Nottingham
Education – Degrees, Licenses, CertificationsPh.D.
Department of Internal Medicine
Wayne State University
1986 - 1988
Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
2008 - present
Professor, Department of Medicine (Cardiovascular Division), University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA
2007 - 2008
Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School
2006 - 2008
Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School
2006 - 2008
Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School
2003 - 2006
Associate Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School
2002 - 2006
Assistant Professor of Research Medicine, Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
1991 - 2002
Research Instructor, Department of Medicine, University of Southern California
1988 - 1991
HOSPITAL & OTHER PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS
Director, Research Division, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School
2003 - 2008
Director of Laser Research, Heart Institute, Good Samaritan Hospital
1994 - 2002
Director of Microscopy, Heart Institute, Good Samaritan Hospital, Los Angeles
1998 - 2008
Biomedical Engineering (BME 5995-02: Cellular and Tissue Biomechanics), Wayne State University, School of Engineering; two-hour lecture “Tissue Architecture” and assessed student final presentations
2014 - 2015
Supervisor, Residency Research Projects (PGY-1 & PGY-2), Pharmacy Departments, Harper University Hospital & Detroit Receiving Hospital, Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI, and Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI
2008 - present
Overview of Acupuncture, University of Massachusetts Medical School: Complementary and Alternative Medicine Faculty Retreat, CME; Ashland, MA
November, Lecture to 1st and 2nd year medical students – Research in Laser Acupuncture (Dr. G. Anand, Course Organizer: Complementary and Alternative Medicine), University of Massachusetts Medical School
Medical Student Summer Research Program; supervised 1st year student, University of Massachusetts Medical School
Lecture to 1st year medical students during Family Medicine elective – Acupuncture (Dr. G. Anand, Course Organizer), University of Massachusetts Medical School
2004 & 2005
Established Investigator Award, American Heart Association
1999 - 2004
First Prize (Basic Science), Young Investigators Competition,
American Heart Association, Greater Los Angeles Affiliate
Elected Basic Science Representative to the Board of Directors of the American Society for Laser Surgery and Medicine
2002 - 2005
External Doctoral Thesis Examiner; Transmyocardial laser revascularization: experimental and clinical studies
M. Huikeshoven, University of Amsterdam
Grant Review Committees
Diabetes UK, ad hoc grant reviewer
Welcome Trust (India Alliance), ad hoc grant reviewer
Health Research Board of Ireland, grant reviewer
Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute, grant reviewer
Israel Science Foundation, ad hoc grant reviewer
2004 & 2006
National Institutes of Health, Surgery, Radiology and Bioengineering Integrated Review Group, full member
2000 – 2004
Austrian Science Fund, ad hoc grant reviewer
Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, ad hoc grant reviewer
1999 – 2002
Department of Veterans Affairs, ad hoc grant reviewer
1999 & 2002
Henry Ford Hospital, Internal Funding Program, ad hoc grant reviewer
Wayne State University Medical School, Jack Ryan Program, ad hoc grant reviewer
South Dakota Health Research Foundation, ad hoc grant reviewer
American Heart Association (Greater Los Angeles Affiliate), Grant-in-Aid Study Section, full member
1992 - 1993
Service for Peer-Reviewed Journals Editorship:
Editor-in-Chief, Lasers in Medical Science, Editor-in-Chief
2006 – 2008
Editorial Board Membership:
Int J Environ Res Pub Health
2016 - present
PLOS ONE (academic editor)
2013 – 2014
Lasers in Medical Science
2009 – 2013
Lasers in Surgery and Medicine
2002 – present
Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis
1997 – present
Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy
2008 – 2012
Review of Manuscripts 2015: 
Cerebrovascular Disease (2), Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine (1), International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health (2), Journal of the American College of Cardiology (1), Lasers in Surgery & Medicine (10), Medicine (4), and Regenerative Medicine (1)
Scientific Council, University of Massachusetts Medical School
2007 - 2008
Faculty Recruitment Committee Member, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School
2004 - 2008
Research Committee Chairman, Department of Emergency Medicine
2003 - 2008
Residency Interview Committee Member, Department of Emergency Medicine
2003 - 2007
Peer-Reviewed Publications: [citations Google Scholar] Reports of Original Work
1. Healy DA, Feeley I, Keogh CJ, Scanlon TG, Hodnett PA, Stack AG, Clarke Moloney M, Whittaker P, Walsh SR: 
Remote ischemic conditioning and renal function after contrast enhanced CT scan: a randomized trial.
Clin Invest Med 2015;38:110-118.
2. Darling CE, Sala Mercado JA, Quiroga-Castro W, Tecco GF, Zelaya FR, Conci EC, Sala JP, Smith CS, Michelson AD, Whittaker P, Welch RD, Przyklenk K: 
Point-of-Care assessment of platelet reactivity in the emergency department may facilitate rapid rule-out of acute coronary syndromes: a prospective cohort pilot feasibility study.
BMJ Open 2014;4:e003883.
3. Chiu HH, Whittaker P: 
Venous thromboembolism in an industrial North American city: temporal distribution and association with particulate matter air pollution.
PLoS One 2013;8:e68829.
4. Rhoney DH, Parker D Jr, Millis SR, Whittaker P: 
Kidney dysfunction at the time of intracerebral hemorrhage is associated with increased in-hospital mortality: a retrospective observational cohort study.
Neurol Res 2012;34:518-21.
5. Khreizat HS, Whittaker P, Curtis KD, Turlo G, Garwood CL: 
The effect of cognitive impairment in the elderly on the initial and long-term stability of warfarin therapy.
Drugs Aging 2012;29:307-17.
6. Whittaker P, Przyklenk K: 
Remote conditioning ischemia provides a potential approach to mitigate contrast media-induced reduction in kidney function: a retrospective observational cohort study.
7. Kleinow ME, Garwood CL, Clemente JL, Whittaker P: 
Effect of chronic kidney disease on warfarin management in a pharmacist-managed anticoagulation clinic.
J Manag Care Pharm 2011;17:523-530.
8. Przyklenk K, Maynard M, Grenier DL, Whittaker P: 
Cardioprotection with postconditioning: loss of efficacy in murine models of type-2 and type-1 diabetes.
Antioxidants Redox Sig 2011;14:781-790.
9. Dotson B, McManus KP, Zhao JJ, Whittaker P: 
Authorship and characteristics of articles in pharmacy journals: changes over a 20-year interval. Ann Pharmacother 2011;45:357-63.
10. Garwood CL, Clemente JL, Ibe GN, Kandula VA, Curtis KD, Whittaker P: 
Warfarin maintenance dose in older patients: higher average dose and wider dose frequency distribution in patients of African ancestry than those of European ancestry. Blood Cells Molecules Dis 2010;45:93-97.
11. Przyklenk K, Frelinger Al III, Linden MD, Whittaker P, Michelson AD: 
Targeted inhibition of the serotonin 5-HT2A receptor improves coronary patency in an in vivo model of recurrent thrombosis.
J Thrombosis Haemostasis 2010;8:331-340.
12. Mũnoz-Pinto D, Whittaker P, Hahn MS: 
Lamina propria cellularity and collagen composition: an integrated assessment of structure in humans.
Ann Otolaryngol 2009;118:299-306.
13. Deguchi J, Huang H, Libby P, Aikawa E, Whittaker P, Lee RT, Aikawa M: 
Genetically engineered collagenase resistance promotes abdominal aortic aneurysm formation in mice infused with angiotensin II.
Lab Invest 2009;89:315-326.
14. Whittaker P, Przyklenk K: 
Fibrin architecture in clots: a quantitative light microscopy assessment.
Blood Cells Molecules Dis 2009;42:51-56.
15. Przyklenk K, Maynard M, Darling CE, Whittaker P: 
Aging mouse hearts are refractory to infarct size reduction with postconditioning.
J Am Coll Cardiol 2008;51:1393-8.
16. Wright JL, Postma DS, Kerstjens HAM, Timens W, Whittaker P, Churg A: 
Physiologic correlates of airspace size and airway remodeling in the smoke-exposed guinea pig.
Inhal Toxicol 2007;19:915-923.
17. Wells JD, Thomsen S, Whittaker P, Jansen ED, Kao CC, Konrad PE, Mahadevan-Jansen A:  Optically mediated nerve stimulation: identification of injury thresholds.
Lasers Surg Med 2007;39:513-26.
18. Nadkarni SK, Pierce MC, Bouma BE, Park BH, Whittaker P, Bressner J, Hapern E, Houser SL, de Boor JF, Tearney GJ: 
Measurement of collagen and smooth muscle cell content in atherosclerotic plaques using polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography.
J Am Coll Cardiol 2007;49:1474-81
19. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P: 
Adaptation of a photochemical method to initiate recurrent platelet-mediated thrombosis in small animals.
Lasers Med Sci 2007;22:42-45.
20. Linden M, Whittaker P, Frelinger AL, Barnard M, Michelson AD, Przyklenk K:  Preconditioning ischemia attenuates molecular indices of platelet activation-aggregation. J Thromb Haemost 2006;4:2670-2677.
21. Przyklenk K, Maynard M, Whittaker P: 
First molecular evidence that inositol trisphosphate signaling contributes to infarct size reduction with preconditioning.
Am J Physiol 2006;291:H2008-H2012.
22. Aikawa E, Whittaker P, Farber M, Mendelson K, Padera RF, Aikawa M, Schoen FJ: 
Human cardiac valve remodeling by activated cells: from fetus to adult. Implications for post-natal adaptation and tissue engineering.
23. Yano T, Miura T, Whittaker P, Miki T, Sakamoto J, Nakamura Y, Ichikawa Y, Ikeda Y, Kobayashi H, Ohori K, Shimamoto K: 
Macrophage colony-stimulating factor treatment after myocardial infarction attenuates left ventricular dysfunction by accelerating infarct repair.
J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;47:626-634.
24. Tabel GM, Whittaker P, Vlachonassios K, Sonawala M, Chandraratna PA: 
Collagen fiber morphology determines echogenicity of myocardial scar: implications for image interpretation.
25. Przyklenk K, Maynard M, Whittaker P: 
Reduction of infarct size with D-myo inositol triphosphate: role of PI3 kinase and mitochondrial KATP channels.
Am J Physiol 2006;290:H830-H836.
26. Deguchi J, Rabkin-Aikawa E, Libby P, Vachon JR, Inada M, Krane SM, Whittaker P, Aikawa M: 
MMP-13/collagenase-3 deletion promotes collagen accumulation and organization in mouse atherosclerotic plaques.
27. Darling CE, Jiang R, Maynard M, Whittaker P, Vinten-Johansen J, Przyklenk K:  'Postconditioning' via stuttering reperfusion limits myocardial infarct size in rabbit hearts: role of ERK 1/2.
Am J Physiol 2005;289:1618-1626.
28. Przyklenk K, Maynard M, Darling CE, Whittaker P: 
Pretreatment with D-myo-inositol trisphosphate reduces infarct size in rabbit hearts: role of inositol trisphosphate receptors and gap junctions in triggering protection.
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2005:314:1386-1392.
29. Tabel GM, Hepel J, Whittaker P, Palal B, Chandraratna PA: 
Hypoechoic areas on ultrasound images of atheroma are not always diagnostic of fatty plaque.
Ultrasound Med Biol 2005;31:1013-1015.
30. Rich L, Whittaker P: 
Collagen and picrosirius red staining: a polarized light assessment of fibrillar hue and spatial distribution.
Braz J Morphol Sci 2005;22:97-104.
31. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P: 
In vitro platelet responsiveness to adenosine-mediated ‘preconditioning’ is age-dependent.
J Thromb Thrombolysis 2005;19:5-10.
32. Dickson EW, Whittaker P, Darling CE, Hirsch DJ, Blehar DJ, Przyklenk K: 
Brief apnea induces myocardial ischemic tolerance by an opioid-insensitive mechanism.
Cardiovasc Pathol 2004;13:225-9.
33. Whittaker P, Müller-Ehmsen J, Dow JS, Kedes LH, Kloner RA: 
Development of abnormal tissue architecture in transplanted neonatal rat myocytes.
Ann Thorac Surg 2003;75:1450-6.
34. Li G, Whittaker P, Yao M, Kloner RA, Przyklenk K: 
The gap junction uncoupler heptanol abrogates infarct size reduction with preconditioning in mouse hearts.
Cardiovasc Pathol 2002;11:158-65.
35. Müller-Ehmsen J, Peterson KL, Kedes L, Whittaker P, Dow JS, Long TI, Laird PW, Kloner RA: 
Rebuilding a damaged heart: long-term survival of transplanted neonatal rat cardiomyocytes after myocardial infarction and effect on cardiac function.
36. Zdrojewski T, Gaudron P, Whittaker P, Poelzl S, Schieman J, Ertl G: 
Divergent effects of early ACE-inhibition on left ventricular hemodynamics and scar collagen after myocardial infarction in spontaneously hypertensive rats.
Cardiovasc Pathol 2002;11:88-93.
37. Müller-Ehmsen J, Whittaker P, Kloner RA, Dow JS, Sakoda T, Long TI, Laird PW, Kedes LH:  Survival and development of neonatal rat cardiomyocytes transplanted into adult myocardium.
J Mol Cell Cardiol 2002;34:107-16.
38. Przyklenk K, Li G, Whittaker P: 
No loss in the in vivo efficacy of ischemic preconditioning in middle-aged and old rabbits.
J Am Coll Cardiol 2001;38:1741-7
39. Kavanagh GJ, Whittaker P, Prejean CA Jr., Firth BR, Kloner RA, Kay GL:  Dissociation between improvement in angina pectoris and myocardial perfusion after transmyocardial revascularization with an excimer laser.
Am J Cardiol 2001;87:229-231.
40. Whittaker P, Patterson MJ: 
Ventricular remodeling after acute myocardial infarction: effect of low-intensity laser irradiation.
Lasers Surg Med 2000;27:29-38.
41. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P: 
Brief antecedent ischemia enhances rt-PA-induced coronary thrombolysis by an adenosine- mediated mechanism.
42. Whittaker P, Patterson MJ, Zheng S, Kloner RA, Daly KE, Hartman RA: 
Histological signatures of thermal injury: implications for transmyocardial revascularization and radiofrequency ablation.
Lasers Surg Med 2000;27:305-318.
43. Whittaker P, Zhang HP, Kloner RA: 
Biphasic survival response to amlodipine treatment after myocardial infarction in rats: association with vascular remodeling. Cardiovasc Pathol 2000;9:85-93.
44. Jain M, Liao R, Ngoy S, Whittaker P, Apstein CS, Eberli FR: 
Angiotensin II receptor blockade attenuates the deleterious effects of exercise training on post-MI ventricular remodelling in rats.
Cardiovasc Res 2000;46:66-72.
45. Przyklenk K, Hata K, Whittaker P, Elliott G: 
Monophosphoryl lipid A attenuates recurrent platelet-mediated thrombosis via a nitric oxide- mediated mechanism.
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2000;35:366-375.
46. Whittaker P: 
Laser-mediated reversal of cardiac expansion after myocardial infarction.
Lasers Surg Med 1999;25:198-206.
47. Hata K, Whittaker P, Kloner RA, Przyklenk K: 
Brief remote ischemia attenuates platelet thrombosis in remote, damaged and stenotic carotid arteries.
48. Whittaker P, Spariosu K, Ho ZZ: 
The success of transmyocardial laser revascularization is determined by the amount and organization of scar tissue produced in response to initial injury: results of ultraviolet laser treatment.
Lasers Surg Med 1999;24:253-260.
49. Przyklenk K, Hutsell TC, Hata K, Whittaker P: 
Targeted coronary thrombolysis via “pericardial” administration of lytic agents?
J Thrombosis Thrombolysis 1998;6:83-88.
50. Finlay HM, Whittaker P, Canham PB: 
Collagen organization in the branching region of human brain arteries.
51. Hata K, Whittaker P, Kloner RA, Przyklenk K: 
Brief antecedent ischemia attenuates platelet-mediated thrombosis in damaged and stenotic canine coronary arteries: role of adenosine.
52. Davison G, Whittaker P, Wickline SA: 
Captopril therapy limits ventricular remodeling but does not alter myocardial collagen fiber morphology of cardiomyopathic hamsters.
Cardiovasc Pathol 1997;6:307-313.
53. Ruiz CE, Zhang HP, Butt AI, Whittaker P: 
Percutaneous treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysm in a swine model: understanding the behavior of aortic aneurysm closure through a serial histopathologic analysis.
54. Coats WD Jr, Whittaker P, Cheung DT, Currier JW, Han B, Faxon DP: 
Collagen content is significantly lower in restenotic versus nonrestenotic vessels following balloon angioplasty in the atherosclerotic rabbit model.
55. Chandraratna PAN, Whittaker P, Chandraratna PM, Hutchison S, Kloner RA, Hla A:  Characterization of collagen by high frequency ultrasound: evidence for different acoustic properties based on collagen fiber morphology.
Am Heart J 1997;133:364-368.
56. Ruiz CE, Butt AI, Zhang HP, Whittaker P: 
Spontaneous rupture and thrombotic effects in a swine model of untreated abdominal aortic rupture.
J Thrombosis Thrombolysis 1996;3:189-194.
57. Whittaker P, Kloner RA, Przyklenk K: 
Intramyocardial injections and protection against myocardial ischemia: an attempt to examine the cardioprotective actions of adenosine.
58. Whittaker P, Rakusan K, Kloner RA: 
Transmural channels can salvage ischemic tissue: assessment of long-term myocardial response to laser- and needle-made channels.
59. Simkhovich BZ, Whittaker P, Przyklenk K, Kloner RA: 
Transient Pre-ischemic acidosis protects the isolated rabbit heart subjected to 30 minutes but not 60 minutes of global ischemia.
Basic Res Cardiol 1995;90:397-403.
60. Whittaker P, Kloner RA, Boughner DR, Pickering JG: 
Quantitative assessment of myocardial collagen with picrosirius red staining and circularly polarized light.
Basic Res Cardiol 1994;89:397-410.
61. Gamra H, Zhang HP, Clugston R, Whittaker P, Allen JW, Lau FYK, Ruiz CE:  Thermodilution left sided cardiac output for valve area determination and left to right shunt estimation following balloon mitral valvotomy.
Am Heart J 1994;128:934-940.
62. Whittaker P, Przyklenk K: 
Reduction of infarct size with ischemic preconditioning: mathematical evidence for protection via non-ischemic tissue.
Basic Res Cardiol 1994;89:6-15.
63. Zheng S, Kloner RA, Whittaker P: 
Ablation and coagulation of myocardial tissue using a pulsed holmium:YAG laser.
Am Heart J 1993;126:1474-1477.
64. Whittaker P, Kloner RA, Przyklenk K: 
Laser-mediated transmural myocardial channels do not salvage acutely ischemic myocardium.
J Am Coll Cardiol 1993;22:302-309.
65. Przyklenk K, Bauer B, Ovize M, Kloner RA, Whittaker P: [1,059]
Regional ischemic "preconditioning" protects remote virgin myocardium from subsequent sustained coronary occlusion.
66. Canham PB, Whittaker P, Barwick SE, Schwab ME: 
Effect of pressure on circumferential order of adventitial collagen in human brain arteries.
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1992;70:296-305.
67. Li Y, Whittaker P, Kloner RA: 
The transient nature of the effect of ischemic preconditioning on myocardial infarct size and ventricular arrhythmias.
Am Heart J 1992;123:346-353.
68. Whittaker P, Boughner DR, Kloner RA: 
Role of collagen in acute myocardial infarct expansion.
69. Whittaker P, Boughner DR, Kloner RA, Przyklenk K: 
Stunned myocardium and myocardial collagen damage: differential effects of single and repeated occlusions.
Am Heart J 1991;121:434-441.
70. Whittaker P, Canham PB: 
Demonstration of quantitative fabric analysis of tendon collagen using two-dimensional polarized light microscopy.
71. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P, Kloner RA: 
In vivo infusion of oxygen free radical substrates causes myocardial systolic, but not diastolic dysfunction.
Am Heart J 1990;119:807-15.
72. Finlay HM, Whittaker P, Hicks JG, Taylor CPS, Canham PB: 
Spatial orientation of arterial sections determined from aligned vascular smooth muscle.
J Microsc 1989;155:213-226.
73. Whittaker P, Romano T, Silver MD, Boughner DR: 
An improved method for detecting and quantifying disarray in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Am Heart J 1989;118:341-349.
74. Whittaker P, Boughner DR, Kloner RA: 
Analysis of healing following myocardial infarction using polarized light microscopy
Am J Pathol 1989;134:879-93.
75. Whittaker P, Schwab ME, Canham PB: 
The molecular organization of collagen in saccular aneurysms assessed by polarized light microscopy
Connect Tissue Res 1988;17:43-54.
76. Whittaker P, Boughner DR, Perkins DG, Canham PB: 
Quantitative structural analysis of collagen in chordae tendineae and its relation to mitral valve prolapse and proteoglycan infiltration
Br Heart J 1987;57:264-9.
77. Canham PB, Finlay HM, Whittaker P, Starkey J: 
The tunica muscularis of human brain arteries: three-dimensional measurements of alignment of the smooth muscle mechanical axis, by polarized light and the universal stage.
Neurol Res 1986;8:66-74.
Case Report (peer-reviewed)
1. Gamra H, Ruiz CE, Zhang HP, Whittaker P: 
Rescue transcatheter embolectomy following complicated transluminal extraction atherectomy of a coronary vein graft.
Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn 1993;28:354-357.
Review Articles (peer-reviewed)
1. Whittaker P, Przyklenk K: 
From ischemic conditioning to ‘hyperconditioning’: clinical phenomenon and basic science opportunity.Doiew Articles (peer-reviewed)se-Response 2014;12:650-663.
2. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P: 
Genesis of remote conditioning: action at a distance – ‘hypotheses non fingo’?
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 2013;14:180-6.
3. Przyklenk K, Dong Y, Undyala VV, Whittaker P: 
Autophagy as a therapeutic target for ischaemia/reperfusion injury? Concepts, controversies, and challenges.
Cardiovasc Res 2012;94:197-205.
4. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P: 
Remote ischemic preconditioning: current knowledge, unresolved questions, and future priorities.
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 2011;16:255-259.
5. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P: 
Cardioprotection via adaptation to hypoxia: expanding the timeline and targets?
Basic Res Cardiol 2011;106:325-328.
6. Donovan JL, Drake JA, Whittaker P, Tran MT: 
Pharmacy-managed anticoagulation services: assessment of in-hospital efficacy and evaluation of financial impact and community acceptance.
J Thromb Thrombolysis 2006;22:23-30.
7. Whittaker P: 
Laser acupuncture: past, present, and future.
Lasers Med Sci 2004;19:69-80.
8. Przyklenk K, Darling CE, Dickson EW, Whittaker P: 
Cardioprotection outside the box. The evolving paradigm of remote preconditioning.
Basic Res Cardiol 2003;98:149-157.
9. Whittaker P: 
Transmyocardial revascularization: from simplicity to complexity.
Int J Cardiovasc Med Sci 2001;3:33-7.
10. Whittaker P:  Transmyocardial revascularization: the fate of myocardial channels.
Ann Thorac Surg 1999;68:2376-2382.
11. Whittaker P:  Mechanical attempts to induce myocardial angiogenesis.
Adv Organ Biol 1999;7:197-214.
12. Whittaker P:  Collagen organization in wound healing after myocardial injury.
Basic Res Cardiol 1998;93 (Suppl 3):23-25.
13. Whittaker, P. 
Collagen and ventricular remodeling after acute myocardial infarction: concepts and hypotheses.
Basic Res Cardiol 1997;92:79-81.
14. Whittaker P: 
Detection and assessment of laser-mediated injury in transmyocardial revascularization.
J Clin Laser Med Surg 1997;15:261-267.
15. Ruiz CE, Zhang HP, Whittaker P: 
Non-surgical treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms
16. Hartman RA, Whittaker P: 
The physics of transmyocardial laser revascularization.
J Clin Laser Med Surg 1997;15:255-259.
17. Whittaker P, Kloner RA: 
Transmural channels as a source of blood flow to ischemic myocardium? Insights from the reptile heart.
18. Whittaker P: 
An alternative perspective on ischemic preconditioning derived from mathematical modeling.
Basic Res Cardiol 1996;91:47-49.
19. Whittaker P: 
Unravelling the mysteries of collagen and cicatrix after myocardial infarction.
Cardiovasc Res 1995;29:758-762 & 1996;31:21-27.
20. Kloner RA, Przyklenk K, Whittaker P, Hale S:  Preconditioning stimuli and inadvertent preconditioning J Molec Cell Cardiol 1995;27:743-7.
21. Whittaker P, Kloner RA:  Ventricular remodeling of the heart. Current Opin Cardiol 1991;6:346-51.
22. Whittaker P: 
Role of collagen in myocardial ischemia, infarction, and healing.
Heart Failure 1990;6:151-7.
23. Kloner RA, Przyklenk K, Whittaker P: 
Deleterious effects of oxygen radicals in ischemia/reperfusion. Resolved and unresolved issues. Circulation 1989;80:1115-27.
Letters to the Editor:
1. Whittaker P, Spariosu K, Ho ZZ:
Solicited reply to “Patent channels after transmyocardial laser revascularization”
Lasers Surg Med 1999;25:377-378.
2. Coats WD Jr, Faxon DP, Whittaker P:
Solicited reply to “Collagen metabolism and restenosis”.
3. Whittaker P:
Ann Thorac Surg 1996;61:1874-1875.
4. Whittaker P, Kloner RA, Przyklenk K:
Solicited reply to "Laser-mediated transmural channels induce a hyalin degeneration of neighboring myocardium".
J Am Coll Cardiol 1994;23:1518.
Direct Myocardial Revascularization: History, Methodology, Technology.
Whittaker P, Abela GS. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1999.
Book Chapters, editorials in indexed journals and non-indexed journal publications:
1. Whittaker P: 
Laser acupuncture and analgesia: preliminary evidence for a transient and opioid-mediated effect.
Proceedings of SPIE. Mechanisms for Low-Light Therapy 2006;6140:61400B-1-61400B-5.
2. Whittaker P, Darling CE:
The open channel hypothesis for transmyocardial revascularization: a reexamination. Myocardial Laser Revascularization. Eds. Bridges C, Horvath K, Chiu R, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, England, pp 120-134, 2006.
3. Whittaker P, Jansen ED:
The biology of laser-tissue interactions: in vivo comparisons and consequences.
Myocardial Laser Revascularization. Eds. Bridges C, Horvath K, Chiu R, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, England, pp 31-47, 2006.
4. Jansen ED, Whittaker P:
Laser-tissue interactions: a consideration of physics and engineering principals.
Myocardial Laser Revascularization. Eds. Bridges C, Horvath K, Chiu R, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, England, pp 16-30, 2006.
5. Whittaker P:
Collagen fibre degradation and re-synthesis after infarction: time-course, structure, and regulation.
Nova Acta Leopoldina 2005;343:43-47.
6. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P: 
Cardioprotection with adenosine: ‘a riddle wrapped in a mystery’.
Br J Pharmacol 2005;145:699-700.
7. Whittaker P:
The third strike against transmyocardial revascularization?
Ann Thorac Surg 1999;68:468-9.
8. Whittaker P, Spariosu K, Ho ZZ:
Initial use of an ultraviolet laser for TMR.
Direct Myocardial Revascularization: History, Methodology, Technology. Eds. Whittaker P, Abela GS, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, pp121-142, 1999.
9. Przyklenk K, Kloner RA, Whittaker P: 
Increased perfusion via laser-mediated myocardial channels? Importance of appropriate models and endpoints.
Direct Myocardial Revascularization: History, Methodology, Technology. Eds. Whittaker P, Abela GS, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, pp61-80, 1999.
10. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P, Ovize M, Kloner RA: 
Reduction of Infarct Size with Ischemic Preconditioning: "Preconditioning at a Distance" Myocardial Preconditioning, Eds. Parratt JR, Wainwright CL, RG Landes Co., Austin, TX, pp79-96, 1996.
11. Whittaker P: 
Polarised light microscopy in biomedical research.
Microscopy & Analysis 1995; January:15-17.
13. Whittaker, P: 
Wound Healing After Myocardial Infarction
Wound Healing in Cardiovascular Disease, Ed. Weber KT, Futura Publishing Co., Mt. Kisco, NY, pp33-48, 1995.
14. Przyklenk K, Kloner RA, Whittaker P: 
Synopsis of ischemic preconditioning: what have we learned since 1986?
Ischemic Preconditioning: The Concept of Endogenous Cardioprotection, Eds. Przyklenk K, Kloner RA, Yellon DM, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, pp153-170, 1994.
15. Whittaker P, Zheng S, Kloner RA: 
Chronic response to direct myocardial revascularization: a preliminary study.
Progress in Biomedical Optics: Proceedings of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Cardiovascular Interventions III. 1993;1878:160-166.
16. Zheng S, Kloner RA, Whittaker P:
Comparative examination of fiber tips in myocardium using a holmium:YAG laser.
Progress in Biomedical Optics: Proceedings of Laser-Tissue Interaction III. 1992;1646:358-365.
17. Whittaker P, Kloner RA:
Remodeling of the left ventricle after myocardial infarction.
The Age of Reperfusion 1992;4:1-6.
18. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P:
Other Theories: Myths, Fads, or Facts?
Stunned Myocardium: Basic and Clinical Aspects, Eds. Kloner RA, Przyklenk K, Marcel-Dekker Inc., New York, NY, pp233-248, 1992.
19. Whittaker P, Kajani SS, Kloner RA:
Changes in structure and function of the aging heart.
Cardiovasc Rev Rep 1989;10:25-9.
20. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P, Kloner RA: 
Zofenopril, a newly developed sulfhydryl-containing converting enzyme inhibitor, enhances contractile function of stunned myocardium.
Current Advances in ACE Inhibition, Eds. MacGregor GA, Sever PS, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp279-82, 1989.
Journal and Book Cover Illustrations:
1. Laboratory Investigation: volume 89, March 2009; Aorta.
2. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy: volume 13, January/February 2007; (description page 16);
3. Myocardial Laser Revascularization. Blackwell Publishing, 2006; Myocardium.
4. Direct Myocardial Revascularization: History, Methodology, Technology. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999; Laser-made myocardial channel.
5. American Journal of Pathology: volume 134, April, 1989; Healing myocardial infarct.
Abstracts: (last 5 years – citable sources)
1. Whittaker P:
Outcomes and clinical characteristics of saddle versus non-saddle central pulmonary embolus: a nested case-control study.
Eur Heart J: Acute Cardiovasc Care 2015;4(S1):69-70.
2. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P:
Remote ischemic conditioning, applied during recurrent coronary thrombosis mimicking unstable angina, improves coronary patency.
Circulation 2014;130(Suppl 2):A19210.
3. Chiu HH, Whittaker P:
Venous thromboembolism in an industrial North American city: temporal distribution and association with air pollution.
4. Whittaker P, Przyklenk K:
Increased mean platelet volume is associated with venous thromboembolism.
Am J Hematol 2012;87(Suppl 1):S193-4.
5. Saely S, Whittaker P:
Heparin therapy for venous thromboembolism: the role of obesity and plasma glucose in failure to achieve adequate anticoagulation.
Am J Hematol 2012;87(Suppl 1):S191.
6. Przyklenk K, Whittaker P, Wider J, Undyala VV, Gottlieb RA, Mentzer RM:
Metabolic support of mitochondrial complex I with yeast Ndi1 evokes significant cardioprotection in the in vivo rat model of acute myocardial infarction
7. Whittaker P, Chiu HH, Przyklenk K:
Increases in red cell distribution width as a biomarker for deep vein thrombosis.
8. Garwood CL, Johnson JL, Habermas S, Whittaker P:
Chronic kidney disease and anticoagulation instability in warfarin-treated patients: insights into potential treatment strategies.
9. Chiu HH, Bestul MB, Whittaker P:
Malignancy and warfarin-mediated anticoagulation: lower initial dose requirements, but greater long-term instability, adverse events, and intensity of management.
10. Whittaker P, Przyklenk K:
Myocardial postconditioning initiates a remote protective effect and attenuates contrast-induced kidney dysfunction.
Euro Heart J 2011;32 (Suppl. 1):532.
11. Clemente JL, Whittaker P:
Vitamin K supplementation for anticoagulation control: do some patients respond better than others?
12. Whittaker P:
Laser acupuncture and infarct size reduction: the influence of risk area
J Molec Cell Cardiol 2010;48(Suppl 1):S159.
13. Whittaker P, Clemente JL, Garwood CL, Przyklenk K:
Power-law analysis: a novel method for evaluation of anticoagulation stability and international normalized ratios.
Pathophysiol Haemostasis Thromb 2010;37(Suppl 1):A137.
14. Molesa C, Whittaker P:
Acute kidney injury and response to warfarin: differential effects of initial INR.
15. Khreizat HS, Garwood CL, Whittaker P:
Cognitive impairment in the elderly: a valid barrier to the initiation of warfarin therapy?
16. Gadoua SM, Clemente JL, Garwood CL, Whittaker P:
Seasonal variation in international normalized ratio impacts clinical management: the rise and fall of anticoagulation.